Thursday 31 May 2012

Lighting and Camera Movement Showreel



Here is a show-reel from the rushes from our film shoot; I've edited together some examples of creative use of lighting and interesting camera movement that I helped give the film within my role as Cinematographer (alongside Joe Tippett). Tackling working directly with the lighting was actually something quite new to me as I've been used to directing people to set up the lights rather than actually working with the lights myself whilst in constant communication with Co-Directors Joe and Bob. The low key LED tests that I did with Joe prior to this film shoot really helped me achieve the visual style of the lighting in this film and I think that my research really shows through in this film without coming across as copying a style that already exists.

The Camera movement that I helped create in this film was something of an experiment for me as with some occasions given free reign to do as a please and then helping operate the dolly to find that slow steady pace that was needed for certain scenes as was made clear from the projects storyboards and script and then also helping to operate the crane were all things quite new to me, but feel that overall I've done a very good job and really enjoyed working with the equipment. The creme-de-la creme with regards to camera movement has to be our Merlin Steadicam one shot from the crawlspace to up above, passing the Merlin from myself to Joe (on roller-blades); the practice sessions that me and Joe did prior to the shoot helped us really nail this sequence and skill down; the shot looks amazingly smooth; though I'm sure that in the edit it won't be a single shot, but interrupted with cuts, I really hope that the audience can still see that we didn't cheat and that the movement was all shot in one take.

No comments:

Post a Comment