Thursday 31 May 2012

Research: Damnation (1988, dir Bela Tarr)



After the Recce shoot that we had down at Hope Cove Bunker, I went back and re-watched Bela Tarr's Damnation (1988); the two areas of the Bunker that really got me thinking of this film was the crawlspace underneath the floor and the room that had the back lit board; the things that really standout for me with Tarr's film is his use of very high contrasts for creating the scene and atmosphere, the monochrome finish adds that artistic look that I think think could really work with the crawlspace and boardroom; though I don't feel that we will shoot those scenes in black and white, but with very high contrasts I think that we can keep that aesthetic feeling that monochrome gives to a film whilst still including colour (though with the lighting, colour should come across very limited, as with the lighting.).

The other area that really strikes me with Damnation is the camera movement, in particular the very slow and smooth pans, this is certainly something that I think will complement our film very well; we will certainly look at getting the track and dolly for the boardroom scene and certainly look to get some interesting Merlin Steadicam shots within the crawlspace; we all agree that the use of Steadicam footage in film really adds that high end 'bigger budget' finesse gloss to a film. Me and Joe will be looking to practice with the Merlin in the near future and hopefully have it nailed by the time the shoot days arrive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment