Thursday 31 May 2012

Research: Alien (1979, dir Ridley Scott)



After the Recce shoot down at Hope Cove Bunker we found that there was a crawl space underneath the actual floor of the hallways and the owner was more than happy for us to use any space within the bunker for our project; Joe and Bob were really keen to do a re-write of the script so that we could use this space in the film and get the most of this great opportunity of filming in such a great location. Going down into the space really reminded me of the Shaft scene in Alien where Dallas enters the shafts in an attempt to flush the alien out.

What I like most about this scene is the great use of darkness and such low uses of light so minimal, but works so effectively to highlight the texture and aesthetic of the vent that Dallas is boxed into; it really helps to build up the tension of the film, and I'm hoping that with the script re-write that I will get the opportunity to set-up a shot underneath the ground that will be very reminiscent of this scene. Especially given that I'm a big fan of horror, this location we definitely give me a great chance to explore this style of lighting to create atmosphere and sense of horror within our project. I think that I will be able to get some Dedo lights down into the crawlspace and potentially create something similar to the scene in Alien yet with my own twist on it, something that will make it really standout.

No comments:

Post a Comment