Monday 30 April 2012

Research: The Bridge (2006, dir Eric Steel)



For my research into documentaries, one of the first documentaries I watched was Eric Steel's 2006 film; The Bridge. I had vivid memories of watching this documentary from quite a few months ago, and really remembered how powerful the film had been, so I decided to revisit the film to see what it was about the documentary that made it stick in my mind so prominently. The film itself deals with a very powerful and opinionated subject of human suicide and though you can't take away that this is a very strong reason for this film to carry so much weight; I found The Bridge particularly interesting for the amount of screen time the bridge itself gets; you really do get that feeling that the bridge itself is just as much an important character within the film itself as those interviewees. Its from this that I take really strong inspiration for our upcoming mocku-mentary; I will hopefully try to make the zombies themselves become just as important as the interviewees; I could toy with the view of giving all the zombies a certain tick or habit that they all share to humanize them to the audience, hopefully portraying the zombies as just a different race of human, rather than the creatures of death that they are normally labelled. Though this might be feel too contrived to the audience, and maybe I could just make sure that we film enough footage of the zombies themselves for the mocku-mentary for the final edit to give them their fair share of screen time, with particular attention showing them doing every day mundane activities like eating, watching t.v., doing the dishes - highlighting the fact the zombies themselves are still human.

No comments:

Post a Comment