Monday 30 April 2012

Make-up on Camera

One of the new experiences from this project has been to be working with a make-up artist on set and work with shooting off cast with applied make-up, this is quite an interesting new area of film for me to be working in; Looking at the make-up as it was being applied on set didn't seem to me that it would come out that great but once I started to film some footage with our zombies, the make-up seemed to be rather enhanced through the lens of my camera.

Close up of Kate (Zombie Dancer)
 The close up above is from our 2nd shoot at Jack Cham's with Kate made up to be a zombie dancer, she actually also had a contact in that really added to the effect of the make up on screen and I made a point of getting some really nice close up shots of her face as I feel that this will work great as a cutaway during the interview scene in the film.

Still of me filming Zombie Dancer
 Above I'm capturing the close up of Kate's face, getting sharp focus on her eye that really enhances the creepiness of her appearance; using a 50mm prime lens I was able to get some really nice crisp sharp focus images where the contact she was wearing really stood out in the shot.

Stacey applying make-up to David (Barry)
 For the character of Barry I really wanted to capture a lot of footage of him as a stand alone character and asked Ross (2nd Camera) to get some nice cutaway shots of Barry during the interview to really try and capture the emotion and expressions of his character that I feel should really add to the connection our audience will feel towards the couple of Amy and Barry.

Stacey applying make-up to Inga (Grant's Zombie Girlfriend)
 With the make up of Inga (Grant's Zombie Girlfriend) I really wanted to make sure that we captured scenes of our zombie doing mundane activities of everyday life, so we ended up having Inga at the sink attempting and failing miserably to wash some dishes.

Overall I feel that it has been a great experience working with a make-up artist, but the experience could have been a whole lot better had we not suffered so many pull outs with actors and extras; where I would have had much much room to experiment with the filming of our zombies; plus it would have been much better for me to have access to some lighting, so that I could have learned more from the world of make-up within film; the camera can only do so much with make-up, but the ability to light our scenes properly I feel would have vastly increased the learning curve and experience of having a make-up artist on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment