Monday 30 April 2012

Feedback from seeing the Edit (30/05/12)

Tonight we all as a group went over to Damian's house to see the rough cut of the film; Rob was really keen for me to see the film all the way through as, they had already seen it on a few occasions and because I had been unavailable due to working on another project for the last 4 days, he thought that I could maybe see the film differently as being away from the project for awhile, I'd be seeing the film almost with a fresh pair of eyes.



After sitting down and watching the film from start to finish I did make quite a few different suggestions on what I thought needed to be changed; the first thing that I mentioned was that the scene with Lew (Our Hippie Character) was missing from the film; and with the fact that our title sequence shows riots and there didn't seem to be any conflict within the film as it was, for me I thought that the title sequence was quite jarring considering that there wasn't anything in the film as it was to suggest any polar opposing of opinions portrayed. I was adamant that this scene needed to be added back into the film and everyone there agree with my argument.

The other glaring issue that I had with the edit was the restaurant scene, as I was away filming on another project and wasn't able to attend this shoot, this was the first time that I actually saw the footage, I was quite surprised at how dull the scene played out, though there was quite a few funny moments in the scene, it just didn't fit in with the rest of the film and felt alien to the essence of this project, it also dragged the films energy down and I suggested that we heavily cut down this scene and try and edit it so that the scene had a kinetic energy of things going wrong at a rapid pace. Everyone again agreed with my suggestion and we worked together as a team to find the right solution to fix this problem.

I would say that I really wish I was able to attend the 6th shoot day and had more of a presence in the post-production in it's build format, but my time away from the project actually help the film to evolve from it's first edit into the outcome of the film now; this I think is something to consider in the future for other projects. Having that fresh pair of eyes come in and see the footage seems to work really well at spotting key changes that those that have been too close to the footage for so long spot. This night I feel has been very productive and the communication and critical analysis between the crew has been very productive and I personally feel these night has boosted the overall team morale.

No comments:

Post a Comment